GRE Mock Test Online
Free GRE Practice Test
Take a full-length free 4-hour, practice test anytime here. Receive a detailed analysis of the performance along with explanations for each question.
Sign Up for Free Practice Test.
Importance of GRE Practice Tests Online
When preparing for the GRE general test, regular practice in a GRE-like environment is the key to success. GRE mock tests are the best way to be prepared for the test day as they allow you to:
- Get familiar with the test software.
- Increase your speed and accuracy.
- Learn the correct time management strategies.
Remember it is not enough to master your verbal and quantitative skills, you also need to learn how to apply them when under immense time pressure. GRE mock tests also allow you to get an understanding of the test structure allowing you to build the best strategy to tackle your areas of strength first.
Familiarity with Test software
When taking the computer-adaptive GRE test, you should be familiar with the following features of the test software:
- The on-screen calculator.
- The ‘mark for review’ option.
- How the UI layout changes for various types of questions including:
- Analytical writing.
- Multiple-choice questions.
- Multi-selection questions.
- Numeric entry.
- Select in passage type questions.
Our GRE mock tests replicate the test software you would see on the test day to ensure you are comfortable with it.
Increasing Speed & Accuracy
- To score high on the GRE test, you should be able to answer questions quickly without sacrificing your accuracy.
- Our mock tests help you achieve this by sharing the average time taken by other students to answer a question. This helps you determine the question types for which you need to find quicker techniques or practice more for speed.
- Our online GRE mock tests also share the average accuracy achieved by test-takers for a given question. This acts as a benchmark for you to measure against.
- To improve your speed and accuracy, you should initially focus on only one of verbal or quant sections. Then, start the other once you have achieved quantifiable improvement.
- For this purpose, we provide GRE verbal mock tests and GRE quant mock tests separately. Each of these follows the GRE structure as closely as possible.
- As with speed and accuracy, even to develop time management strategies you should first work on GRE verbal mock tests and GRE quant mock tests separately. Remember, if you can manage your time in each section well – the overall time management for the GRE test will automatically be good.
- While you will have to develop your own time management strategies, they will include aspects like:
- Which questions to prioritize when attempting a section?
- Which questions to answer first – for example, should you do GRE reading comprehension first or the text completion questions first?
- How much time to allot for a given question type?
- As you attempt more and more GRE practice tests, you will develop a sense of timing. That is, you would know when to give up on a question and move on to the next after simply guessing an answer. You would also know which questions to mark for review and which one to simply give up on with an intelligent guess.
- Full-length GRE mock tests would also help you develop the mental and physical stamina needed to tackle a 4-hour exam.
How many GRE mock tests should you take?
- Remember the GRE mock tests are a part of your GRE preparations, and not the only thing that you should rely on.
- You can take as many mock tests as you need to become familiar with the exam.
- If you are working with a 1-month to 3-month practice window, it is ideal to take four GRE mock tests – not counting the diagnostic test you take to set the baseline.
What type of GRE mock tests should you take?
- GRE is a computer-adaptive test. This means that the difficulty level of the second sub-sections in both verbal and quantitative sections are determined by your performance is the first sub-section.
- This is not the best format for GRE practice tests early in your GRE prep – as you may not even get to face the more difficult questions.
- Therefore, start with the non-adaptive GRE mock tests first. Once you are considerably through your preparations – shift to the adaptive GRE mock test.
- This will allow you to better identify your areas of strength/ weakness early on and give a taste of actual test conditions later in your preparations.
The overall approach to GRE mock tests
- Take GRE online mock tests to familiarize yourself with the test software
- Start with GRE verbal mock tests and GRE quant mock tests separately to refine your time management and improve your speed and accuracy in each section.
- Take full-length non-adaptive GRE mock tests once you are at least half-way through the GRE syllabus.
- Take full-length computer-adaptive GRE mock tests as you come close to the end of your GRE preparations.
- GRE mock tests are the best way to develop stamina for the 4-hour test.
Sample GRE Practice Test with Answers
Ques 1: A rectangle has a perimeter of 20 units. Quantity A: Area of the rectangle. Quantity B: 25 sq units. Which one of these options is true?
Options:A. Quantity A is greater B.
B. Quantity B is greater C.
C. The two quantities are equal.
D. The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.
The Answer is D. The relationship cannot be determined from the information given. For Quantitative Comparison questions, it’s always better to start with what’s given. Since we know that the perimeter is 20, let us substitute the formula for 20.Therefore, 2 x (l + b) = 20 And, (l + b) = 10. Since there are no restrictions on the values of l & b, from this equation, we can deduce the possible combinations which will produce the result as 10. Therefore, 1 + 9 = 10 ; 2 + 8 = 10; 3 + 7 = 10: 4 + 6 = 10; 5 + 5 = 10. Now, let’s calculate Quantity A i.e. the area of the rectangle with these possible combinations. The possible areas are l x b = 1 x 9 = 9 ;l x b = 2 x 8 = 16;l x b = 3 x 7 = 21;l x b = 4 x 6 = 24 and l x b = 5 x 5 = 25. Now, coming to Quantity B, which is 25 sq. units. Since, we cannot zero in on any particular number for Quantity A, we cannot determine the relationship between Quantity A & Quantity B. Hence, the right answer is Option D. If you had chosen Option B, it is possible that you may have missed out on including 5 x 5 = 25 in your calculation. Remember, a square is also a special type of rectangle that has four sides of equal length.
FAQS on GRE Mock Test
Q. Should I prepare before giving GRE diagnostic test?
Ans. A student should take the GRE Diagnostic test without any preparation because this helps the student understand the weak and strong areas. Taking the test after preparing would mean that a student won't be able to completely understand the areas which they need to work on.
Q. Is it true that students get more marks in real test compared to mock test?
Ans.The number of marks obtained by a student depends on multiple factors, some of those factors are: Preparation Level & Difficulty Level of the Exam. When it comes to GRE Mock Test & the actual GRE, a student scoring consistently well can score well in GRE as well.
Q. Does ETS also provide free GRE mock tests?
Ans.Yes, they provide a free mock test called the ETS Powerprep tool. You can check the ETS Mock Test & Practice material by clicking here.
Q. Can I write GRE mock test in the actual exam center?
Ans.Yes, there are many options as such. Some students prefer to take the Mock Test from their home as it is more of a computer adaptive test. The important thing is to biologically tune yourself for your GRE slot.
Q. How many mock tests will help in getting 99th percentile?
Ans There is no sure shot number that anyone can guarantee for the number of mock tests, but you can definitely focus on the quality of mock tests rather than quantity. If after every mock test you are analyzing your result thoroughly and understanding using proper tools what are your weak and strong areas, then definitely you can see a improvement.